Saturday, October 15, 2005

stuck...

I did my first "on air" radio shift this morning... at 7am (hence why this post is occuring at 8am)... and I feel as though I am not "in love" with this program...

But is this just tired/grumpy Rob ranting about his joint program? this is what I cannot decide...

Let me outline the reasons why I am not enjoying this program:
1) It is not a monday to friday, 9-5 program... a radio shift can be anywhere from 7am-midnight, monday-sunday. This is probably the worst part as I have been told NOT to have a part time job (kind of necessary for us students who aren't riding on our parents wallets) and we have been told that we are to work around their schedules, not them working around ours (which means we don't even get to fill out an availability, you take what you get)
EXAMPLE: Shift #1, saturday 6am; shift #2, wednesday 11pm (I have a midterm the next day); shift #3, saturday 11pm...

2) I find I am not interested in the classes like I was last year. Don't get me wrong, I love my 201 course at Western, but radio preparation, production, etc. all lead me to dislike this program as the classes are so straight forward.

3) We don't even get to pick our schedules, it was handed to us. this means I have class all over the board, sometimes with 8 hour breaks (causing even more time that I cannot get a part time job for)

4) I miss all the theory, essays, and lectures from Western last year. most of you are wondering what I could possibly mean by this? but seriously, last year I loved analyzing films, studying novels, and researching essays. This year, my only chance to do that is in 201, the rest of the time is factual tests, and hands on tests (which I am not doing bad in, I am just not entertained with them)

It is a sad story when the representative of this faculty is trying to determine his love for the program, but this feeling that I might be in the wrong program just began today...

oh well, I guess I will have to spend some time thinking...

p.s. this was my hundreth post, and a pretty crappy subject area...damn school stresses

4 comments:

Robbie said...

boo spam! damn you jessica klarkson...DAMN U!

alex said...

everyone doubts their doing the right thing at the right time..
especially when school is a giant pain in the ass.

ride it out, it's just for the year. and you'll be back to balance out another western round come third year, right?

ps. you could be the next alan cross! (he was at western on friday, i love him, i caught a close up glimpse.)

Robbie said...

everyone laughs at how I change my mind every two seconds, I have to work on this...

but thanks for the good thoughts alex, keep me grounded...

should I thank jessica klarkson (aka...comment #1?)

I think so!

sg/20something/male said...

hahaha!! you fell into the marketing trap that is a joint program. when i first decided to come to western i was all over MTP. i was like 'damn right i'm gettin a degree and diploma bitches!!'
and then i took the time to actually read it and i was like wtf mate, y hell am i gonna get into production, i just want to be signing checks not gettin them. and so i realized that fanshaw was not goin to get me where i wanted to go, so i never went.
and all i can do now is laugh hardy-har-har at u...i cant wait till ur back at western

and just for the record damn u jessica klarkson from me too!!bitch!