Wednesday, April 18, 2007

ridiculous? just a little bit.

I will start by admitting bias before continuing on my rant about Rosie O'donnell. I am a Rosie fan. I have been since I first saw her show back in public school, and remember dreaming of the day when I would get the opportunity to go sit in the audience and dodge shooting koosh balls.

Yes, the show has been cancelled, but I knew she would make it back into the television realm...and she has. Her being on the View is old news, however my recent discoveries online are what lead me to write a post addressing my thoughts on such a Liberal viewpoint on that show.

To reiterate briefly, I am biased... She supports gay rights, is against the Bush administration, and is very critical on government and media actions (and the messages being carried out into the public sphere). All of these things incorporate her views into my studies, as well as my personal view points. Regardless, I find it funny that so many people are quick to criticize her (even Canadians sharing similar viewpoints) when they should make sense of her arguments, before joining the 'Rosie's a loudmouth' bandwagon.

For starters, I encourage someone to read her blog posts. Although at times abstract, and written in a non-academic format, the opinions expressed are always filled with examples and relevant to current events. I also love it when people are openly critical with no fears of the negative impacts of their opinion (MIT 4 life), but this is why I support her being on the View (and that she challenges little Elizabeth's conservative, pro-Bush mentality).

I do encourage all to stop by her website just to view her REAL opinion... and shortly after, you must stop by this website and see the great thought process behind American critical opinion. Is this actually a website that has a petition where they 'believe she is a danger to the morale of this country and emboldens those who seek to destroy us'?...and am I the only person who finds the joke in a site opposing a more extreme viewpoint, on the VIEW!!

My anger towards such a website, as well as criticism of someones viewpoint, I find ridiculous. and that is what drove me to write about it today.

I attempted to sign the petition under an insulting alias, but after being removed I felt a blog post would have to suffice.



1 comment:

BM said...

Oh no! the stop Rosie link no longer works (it appears?).

It's true though that people will take the craziest stances that are so clearly fuelled by PR and mongering. It's what would bring my brothers (and formerly mine) high school physics/philosophy/everything teacher to teach that environmentalism is a cult and David Suzuki is a terrorist. Not even joking.

It makes one reconsider the hypodermic needle model.

Ps. Hi Rob.