Monday, April 16, 2007

blink, and you miss it.

and that's how I choose to conclude a year that has been one of both epic and odd proportions.

Yes, kicking off the year with a flight to Africa was something a little different. Actually, it was the best idea I think I have ever taken advantage of. Luckily for me, I came back to the most theory, work driven semester of my life.

For most students that would cause you to buckle down and settle into school like you were planning on doing September first of last year, but for yours truly, the option of "living life to its fullest" was just too tempting.

Luckily, with some small portion of good luck, I was able to pull myself together in time for final exams. Finally bringing myself back to the student I once was. It's amazing how after three years of university, you come to the realization that while you are paying for this, you might as well enjoy it.

and that is what I intend to do.

So, with the help of others, I made a list of things I want to do before I graduate (in this list, I included courses I wanted to take) and I am posting them on here to hold myself to them. I am going to refrain from my classic 'no more procrastination' promises, and actually break down how my next year will go. I have until August 1st (a one month ahead of the game start time) to finish/touch up this list of promises in hopes of making them all happen.

For my fourth year as an undergraduate student, I would like to:
1) Go away for spring break. London, I love you, but god help me if I am going to suffer through another seven days here knowing how many students are away in some sort of drunken fabulousness.
2) Get involved in two of three of the following organizations:
a) a band of some sort (the tenor sax in my closet is not gaining value there)
b) help out with a charitable group on campus (and/or help out with an event that aids it (charity ball aside...)
c) actually take charge in stepping up to the media plate (get involved in alternative media, magazines, etc. the information that I have fallen in love with but have been to afraid to write/work with)
3) see at least four plays, and audition for 2 (this ex-community theatre guru needs to get back on the theatre bandwagon)
4) 4 concerts, two of which cannot be bands that I know of (or paid more than $25/ticket)
5) Not max out any form of student debt offered to myself in my last year (although tempting, I think I should just rack up the hours at the old part time job)
6) Take Killer Culture
7) Take Genocide
8) Pay off credit card
(not overwhelmingly large, but definately something on the 'to do' list)
9) Buy a suit (this one is a long time coming, but necessary)
10) Five weekends of the year are to be (mandatorily) spent in Toronto
11) (overly ambitious) New Years with the roomate at her house in Dublin

That is my list, and yes, subject to change or add (likewise to add criticism from those who suggest other courses, or the 'must have' profs before graduating). The new leaf has been turned, now I am just working on keeping it turned over.

1 comment:

sam said...

you can DO IT!!!
so there for new years in Dublin. and for spring break. AND for some broadway (theatre western exec, yo. we're goin to NYC if i have anything to say about it!)

yay for your blog being back up & running! mine's also on it's way... hehe

love, your other (non-Dublinite) roomie