Monday, November 27, 2006

Africa!

Finally enough power to get through my entire inbox and back into the blogging world. Sam and I originally thought it would be a good idea to have our 'academic blog' but it ends up being very exhausting trying to get through all emails and then onto blogs in one hours time.

so today I splurged and bought a second hour...lol.

So, how is Africa?

I can't even begin to describe all of the wonder that is Africa (well, Mwanza specifically). Being here makes me want to explore every other country just to see the cultural differences!

Sam and I are trying to be adventurous as possible by doing just about everything we can... like eating goat meat, trying every hot sauce we find, standing inches away from a caged lion, taking a boat to an island that rocks back and forth so much you almost touch the water, and camping in the middle of the serengeti...without a gun (apparently necessary).

We have gotten used to the cultural norms of the area. Hearing the Muslim 'Call to Prayer' (at about 5:30 am, noon, and in the evening), Sam staying very covered up, and being seperated (once) at dinner where I ate with the men in the living room and Sam ate outside with the women.

Not all of the society is so patriarchal, but we have definately seen some instances of it.

Sam and I are still hollered at in the streets (Pendo told us we should take 'Mzungu' as a compliment but we are still unsure if everyone's intentions are complimentary).

On the weekend while watching the news we found out that homosexuality was actually illegal here which I had never even though to look into before coming. Obviously not here for romantic reasons, but still very interesting news to recieve while watching the news at a local hotel.

I am now very comfortable with my Swahili...and my love for bartering is only growing. I can't wait until I am back trying to barter back in Canada!

Sorry this post is not very exciting, but I forgot my camera so no pics yet!

kwa heri!

1 comment:

gillian said...

ROB! it sounds incredible!!

I'm heading to Ghana in Jan for 2 months to do some volunteer work - we can compare notes!

I'm SO excited - and reading about your trip just makes me even more enthusiastic about my time there!

cheers :)